Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Experiencing Vegetables

People ask me about some of the changes I've noticed since beginning a mindfulness practice.
I tell them about feeling less stress overall, more empathetic, and being more aware of what I consume. I feel less need to watch TV, partake in small talk and gossip,  I have mostly given up soda and caffeine and now eat a diet consisting of approximately 80% vegetable matter.  This is a big deal to me as I have always disliked vegetables and prefer meat and carbohydrates.  Almost always these dietary changes and confession of the dislike of veggies brings on well meaning offers of recipes that will make those green things more palatable.  I thank people for their recipes and tell them I'll try them some day but for now I just want to eat the vegetables raw and get to tolerate them in that form.
When they inevitably ask why with a puzzled look on their face I tell them it is not about liking or disliking them, not about health (though my dietary changes have helped both with my health and my ability to eat in a more kosher manner) not even about spirituality.
It's just time to experience vegetables.

No comments:

Post a Comment