Sunday, February 17, 2013

Rabbis and Intermarriage

Rabbis and Intermarriage

Preventing the decline in active congregants in the shules by up-playing the value of Jewish marriage has been a valiant and worthy effort of the past few generations. But it's not working so well. I urge the URJ an the HUC-JIR to consider allowing the very people who have experienced intermarriage and have chosen to return to or remain a part of Judaism a chance to become leaders and reach out with unique insight to others like themselves.

I am a mid-life convert to Reform Judaism. My wife, with full support of my conversion, chose not to convert. My children, born before my conversion are being raised reciting the Shema at least twice a day, lighting Shabbat candles and saying blessings. I love Judaism and the Jewish people. I write a blog about Jewish Mindfulness and meditation, am naturally spiritual advisor and have considered the possibility of becoming a Rabbi or chaplain. Yet I would be automatically turned down by the HUC-JIR even though a Reform Rabbi, a congregation and a Beit Din have all accepted me as Jewish.

Although my case is different than many intermarried Jews, I urge the URJ and HUC-JIR to not base their decisions on who to allow to study for the Rabbinate on such a broad policy. To lose potential new leaders who can reach out to others like them should be as distasteful to Reformed Jews as the exclusion of women, people of color or the LGBT. Let every candidate be judged by what is in his or her heart and not on the never ending argument about what outward appearance makes one Jewish. Torah is not written about people who kept the letter of the law. It is about imperfect people who felt a desire for relationship with Hashem and each other. It is about leaders who came from unexpected places and backgrounds.

No comments:

Post a Comment